Saturday, July 16, 2011

Crownies: the verdict is in.

There's something especially great about a good Aussie drama. Maybe it's the element of pride, or the familiar landscape. Perhaps it's the fact that we're so surprised we came up with something worth watching, that it becomes far more addictive than it actually should be. For whatever reason, shows like Seachange and Love My Way hold a special place in this TV addict's heart. This is why when the new ABC series Crownies premiered on Thursday night, my hopes were high. Despite continued disappointment, the wonder of an Aussie drama that gets it right had me holding onto the chance that another one was on its way.

So did it hit the spot? Not exactly. After weeks of intense promotion, it was definitely a let-down. The ad I'd seen at least 5 times made it look better than it actually was- less intrigue and glamour, more unlikable characters and an obvious attempt to seem gritty. The 2 hour long premiere seemed to drag on, and I found myself looking at the clock in hopes that 10.30 would soon arrive.

That said, it wasn't all bad. There were some impressive performances. Indiana Evans (formerly of Home and Away and H20: Just Add Water) as Tatum Novak, the bubbly and friendly one, was a standout. Her friendship with the endearingly hopeless Richard Stirling (Hamish Michael) will be one to watch over the next installments. The mystery of who released a highly sensitive brief to the media gives another reason to keep watching. This aspect of the plot was done well, as the viewer was given reason to believe it could have been any of the young crownies that betrayed their friends and colleagues.

Despite initial disappointment, I'll be tuning in again next Thursday. This is partly because of the strengths I've just discussed, and partly because my faith in the occasional brilliance of home-grown drama won't allow me to give up on this one just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment