Monday, August 8, 2011

Terrible Teens: The Search for an Idol in Soapie-Land

As much i love love love my teen dramas (enough to refer to them as if I own them), as I get a bit older I become increasingly aware that the characters I adore and idolise are not always the greatest people to be looking up to. Take Marissa Cooper from The O.C, one of my very favourite TV teens. She often deals with her problems in a less than constructive way- 'Cosmo Girl's' magic flask, anyone? Or Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl, manipulative and at times, just plain cruel.

Then there's the other side of the coin: Rory Gilmore (Gilmore Girls, in case that wasn't obvious). In the early seasons at least, Rory maintains flawless grades, is unfailingly dedicated to studying, always has cute boy after her and is nice to everyone she meets. You would think Rory would make the perfect idol, but aspiring to that kind of perfection can be just as destructive as taking up vodka lattes or exposing the personal secrets of those in your social circle for fun. So what's a girl to do? Give up soapies once and for all?
Never. While there are aspects of Marissa and Blair's behaviour that should definitely not make the to-do lists of viewers, it is always comforting to find characters you can relate to in any small way. That's why I love those girls, and plan to continue to hold them in high esteem. As for who to idolise, I think I'll just pick the best parts of all my favourites. Brooke Davis' confidence, Jen Lindley's wisdom, Peyton Sawyer's creativity... all these characters give me things to aspire to. As long as we know what's worth trying to emulate and what's not, I think we can keep watching and loving the Marissas and Blairs of the world (or screen, technically).

1 comment: