Monday, August 1, 2011

Always Trust Claudia Karvan

When I first read about Spirited, the new show from the makers of Love My Way, I thought it sounded a little silly. A woman in the 21st century having a love affair with a ghost? I was pretty sure I'd read a book with that premise in my earlier teen years and it was silly then, so why would it be any different now? But hang on, I thought, the lead is played by Claudia Karvan. As my beloved Frankie in Love My Way, she was so brilliant that I couldn't imagine her in anything unwatchable. I didn't want to imagine it. Luckily, after giving Spirited a try I can say with confidence that my worst fears were unfounded.

Karvan plays a wealthy dentist, Suzy Darling, who is quietly dissatisfied with her life. One night, after a particularly humiliating dinner party, she changes her life just as quietly. Leaving her husband behind, she buys a penthouse with a view of the Harbour Bridge. While settling in, Suzy is startled by a fairly unique intruder- Henry Mallet (Matt King), an eccentric ex-rock star who just happens to be... well, dead.

Suzy then launches into a totally different phase of her life. She juggles kids, her job, potential friendships with her neighbours (though they might think she's a little bit crazy) and dealing with her insufferable husband, while also getting to know Henry and researching who he was when he was alive. As Suzy helps him figure out his identity, I get the feeling that Henry might just be doing the same thing for her. I have instantly fallen for both these characters, as they form a unique relationship that is somehow very believable.

Karvan really shows her acting and producing chops in this series (not that anyone ever had any doubts in that regard). It's sometimes difficult to watch an actor you loved as someone in particular play someone else, but here, it is effortless. The character of Suzy is completely different to Frankie, while still retaining those great Karvan facial expressions and that undeniable Karvan heart. Three episodes in, I can say without a doubt that this show is funny, warm and sweet, but it is not in the slightest bit silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment