Sunday, August 14, 2011

Please no! Sex and the City TV series 2.0?

Just when I thought Monday couldn't get any worse, out of the corner of my eye I noticed an article my friend was looking at: Sex and the City is rumoured to coming back as a new TV series. This is not good news. Here's why.

The ending to the sixth season of Sex and the City was good. Really, really good. In fact, I might even go so far as to say it is one the best series finales that I have seen. It was an episode that saw Carrie Bradshaw and the girls end up exactly where we all wanted them to be. After all the seasons of drama, things were finally working out, and the best part was that the four main characters had stuck together through all of it. The closing voiceover from Carrie encapsulated so much of what I loved about the show and what it meant: "The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you that you love? Well, that's just fabulous."

It was all so perfect. An episode that could be rewatched again and again to just to relive the happiness. Then came the movie. As as a devoted fan of the TV series I found so many elements just plain wrong. After seeing Carrie and Mr. Big finally come to a place where they could be together at the end of the series, watching that be torn apart yet again was quite simply depressing. Not to mention Samantha and Smith breaking up, or Steve cheating on Miranda (who, by the way, was suddenly very glamorous in the movie. Just so not Miranda). Some happy endings just shouldn't be tampered with, and this was one of them.

Then we had to suffer through Sex and the City 2, a movie that was offensive on so many levels that I wouldn't even know where to start. Surely, that was the nail in the coffin that was the story of Carrie and the girls? Could I now just pretend the movies never happened and enjoy the sixth season in peace? I thought so, until this morning. It would be safe to say that after the movies, I hold no optimism about the quality of a new SATC show. The story should have ended years ago. Please, don't let it be true. The perfect ending has been tarnished enough as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment